In 2010, to celebrate my tenth year of a wonderful life on dialysis I sort of got in shape and canoed 225 miles with the Grand River Expedition 2010. It was an incredible journey that couldn't have happened without my family and many dear friends.

I have been on dialysis since 2001 and have used every form of dialysis currently available in search of the best outcome and the best life. I have done in-center hemodialysis, at home hemodialysis with a traditional dialysis machine, peritoneal dialysis and finally, NxStage's System One home hemodialysis machine. I have had two kidney transplants, one from my beautiful wife and another because a thoughtful motorcyclist had checked the donate organs line on his license. For me, the technology for a successful transplant does not exist for my disease. I remain open and optimistic about wearable and implantable artificial kidneys.

Since I started my first blog, Tasty Kidney Pie, in 2001, I have tried to, and hope to continue to, inspire dialysis patients and others living with chronic illnesses to get outdoors and live an active and fruitful life.

Since 2001, The Riverdudes, my National Kidney Foundation of Michigan Walk Team has raised $78,000.

I currently spend my time writing, raising my children, snuggling with my wife, getting outside and staying active, and hopefully inspiring others along the way.

Thank you

With your help we can exceed this year's goal of $5,000 for the National Kidney Foundation of Michigan. Thank you very much for your continued support. Erich



Tuesday, April 20, 2010

I need Paddling on Dialysis Crew Members


Dear Riverdudes:

Thank you so very much for your incredible support for the National Kidney Foundation of Michigan over the past nine years.  With your generous help we have raised over $54,000.  An awesome accomplishment.

To celebrate my 10th year of extra life, I want to do something big.  I want Jacob and Antonia to be able to say, "My Dad did that."  So I've linked my love of rivers with my need to help find a cure for kidney disease and will be canoeing 224 miles from the beginning of the Grand River to Lake Michigan with the Grand River Expedition http://michigan.sierraclub.org/issues/greatlakes/articles/GRE_Admin.html  

And, in so doing I hope to raise $20,000.

I need your help to accomplish both of these goals.

1.  I would welcome you again to be on the Riverdude Crew.  I would love to have you walk with me:
Date:Sunday, June 13, 2010
Location:Potter Park Zoo
 Lansing, MI
Check In Begins:12:00 pm
Walk Starts at:1:30 pm

You can join the team at 

http://donate.kidney.org/site/TR/Walk/Michigan?px=1006841&pg=personal&fr_id=2860&et=zAhRzmctrVTfaMOlPHo19A..&s_tafId=32401

If it doesn't work as a hyperlink just cut and paste or link to it from my blog http://paddlingondialysisforkidneyhealth.blogspot.com/

If you have already made a donation please sign up and join me.  Once you sign up please ask at least ten people to sponsor you for $10.00.  I will send you a donation envelope or you can set up your own secure funding website.  I can do this for you if you like, just let me know.

If you can't make it to Lansing for the Walk or the Paddling, you can still join the Riverdudes as a virtual paddler and still raise funds.

2.  I would like you to join me for a day on the river.  Andria is pretty adamant that I need to paddle with someone so that I don't fall behind.  While I doubt I will, I respect her request.  Please sign up to paddle with me on one of the days July 15 through July 26.  We will have a shuttle service to take you back to your car after we reach our destination.  You are welcome to spend the night and be part of the festivities too, I just need to know.  There is a $20.00 cost to cover lunch and insurance and a water bottle for your participation.  The Paddling on Dialysis for Kidney Health t-shirt is on me.  You can canoe multiple days if you like.  Just let me know


http://michigan.sierraclub.org/pdfs/GRE2010_Itinerary_revJul09DC.pdf

I'm not sure what I'm doing yet for accommodations since I will be doing hemodialysis each night.  I may have access to a travel trailer or I may based out of centrally located hotels.  I'm still working on that.


I appreciate all that you have done for kidney disease research and education and look forward to you joining me on these very special events.

Warm thoughts, Erich

No comments:

Post a Comment