In 2010, to celebrate my tenth year of a wonderful life on dialysis I sort of got in shape and canoed 225 miles with the Grand River Expedition 2010. It was an incredible journey that couldn't have happened without my family and many dear friends.

I have been on dialysis since 2001 and have used every form of dialysis currently available in search of the best outcome and the best life. I have done in-center hemodialysis, at home hemodialysis with a traditional dialysis machine, peritoneal dialysis and finally, NxStage's System One home hemodialysis machine. I have had two kidney transplants, one from my beautiful wife and another because a thoughtful motorcyclist had checked the donate organs line on his license. For me, the technology for a successful transplant does not exist for my disease. I remain open and optimistic about wearable and implantable artificial kidneys.

Since I started my first blog, Tasty Kidney Pie, in 2001, I have tried to, and hope to continue to, inspire dialysis patients and others living with chronic illnesses to get outdoors and live an active and fruitful life.

Since 2001, The Riverdudes, my National Kidney Foundation of Michigan Walk Team has raised $78,000.

I currently spend my time writing, raising my children, snuggling with my wife, getting outside and staying active, and hopefully inspiring others along the way.

Thank you

With your help we can exceed this year's goal of $5,000 for the National Kidney Foundation of Michigan. Thank you very much for your continued support. Erich



Wednesday, May 8, 2013



Last night was a very successful paddle with the Boy Scouts on the Red Cedar River and Grand River in downtown Lansing, MI.  I'm a little sore and tired today, but that is just my body reminding me that I had a great time yesterday.


You can see more photos at the Troop/Crew 180 website.


Find time to get outside and paddle.

No comments:

Post a Comment