In 2010, to celebrate my tenth year of a wonderful life on dialysis I sort of got in shape and canoed 225 miles with the Grand River Expedition 2010. It was an incredible journey that couldn't have happened without my family and many dear friends.

I have been on dialysis since 2001 and have used every form of dialysis currently available in search of the best outcome and the best life. I have done in-center hemodialysis, at home hemodialysis with a traditional dialysis machine, peritoneal dialysis and finally, NxStage's System One home hemodialysis machine. I have had two kidney transplants, one from my beautiful wife and another because a thoughtful motorcyclist had checked the donate organs line on his license. For me, the technology for a successful transplant does not exist for my disease. I remain open and optimistic about wearable and implantable artificial kidneys.

Since I started my first blog, Tasty Kidney Pie, in 2001, I have tried to, and hope to continue to, inspire dialysis patients and others living with chronic illnesses to get outdoors and live an active and fruitful life.

Since 2001, The Riverdudes, my National Kidney Foundation of Michigan Walk Team has raised $78,000.

I currently spend my time writing, raising my children, snuggling with my wife, getting outside and staying active, and hopefully inspiring others along the way.

Thank you

With your help we can exceed this year's goal of $5,000 for the National Kidney Foundation of Michigan. Thank you very much for your continued support. Erich



Wednesday, August 11, 2010

225 miles later

It has been a couple of weeks since I completed the 225 mile Grand River Expedition. It was an incredible experience. Jacob canoed with me two days and Andria one day. On my first day, which was one Jacob joined me, we had seventy mile an hour winds, torential rains, and lightening, one struck one hundred feet away from us as we huddled under a bridge with twenty-five other paddlers.


I had a number of old and new friends join me for the other ten days. I even had a new friend paddle with me who happened to have kidney and pancreas transplant and a prosthetic leg. We had a number of portages that day which we were successful with, especially due to the help of our fellow paddlers. With your support, it felt as if you too were there in my canoe with me.


The first two days were a challange, but after that I seemed to develop a rhythm chasing Great Blue Herons and Kingfishers down the stream until they turned to Bald Eagles and eventually to seagulls as we came upon the dunes near Lake Michigan. My father in law, Larry and his wife, Sue, camped with me for five days at Ionia State Park allowing for me to dialyze close to the middle stretches of the journey. So many people helped to make this journey so successful.


I never dialyzed so much - 12 days. I took one day off because of a threat of tornadoes and thunderstorms. Sure enough we lost power that night, so I'm glad I didn't have to disconnect. It ruins my beauty sleep. And, as you all know, I need all that I can get. The daily dialysis helped me to be strong each day. I would do it all the time if it weren't so much work.


There were 60 of us paddlers who paddled the entire length and nearly 400 who paddled at least one day. This was the most ever for this adventure that started in 1990. Everyone brough a unique experience to the trip. We had a newlywed couple, and woman who celebrated her 85th birthday and her third Expedition. We had a 14 year old boy who paddled the distance with his grandfather. And, we also had a Voyager Canoe from Project Lakewell join us for the final half of the trip. It was a like freigther compared to the many 12 foot kayaks.


Most importantly, I have now raised nearly $13,000 for the National Kidney Foundation. I couldn't have done this without your donations and kind wishes.


Thank you from the bottom of my heart, and let me tell you I have a pretty big heart, so that is a lot of thanks and love.


I hope you enjoy the rest of this splendid summer.


Your truly,
Erich

No comments:

Post a Comment