In 2010, to celebrate my tenth year of a wonderful life on dialysis I sort of got in shape and canoed 225 miles with the Grand River Expedition 2010. It was an incredible journey that couldn't have happened without my family and many dear friends.

I have been on dialysis since 2001 and have used every form of dialysis currently available in search of the best outcome and the best life. I have done in-center hemodialysis, at home hemodialysis with a traditional dialysis machine, peritoneal dialysis and finally, NxStage's System One home hemodialysis machine. I have had two kidney transplants, one from my beautiful wife and another because a thoughtful motorcyclist had checked the donate organs line on his license. For me, the technology for a successful transplant does not exist for my disease. I remain open and optimistic about wearable and implantable artificial kidneys.

Since I started my first blog, Tasty Kidney Pie, in 2001, I have tried to, and hope to continue to, inspire dialysis patients and others living with chronic illnesses to get outdoors and live an active and fruitful life.

Since 2001, The Riverdudes, my National Kidney Foundation of Michigan Walk Team has raised $78,000.

I currently spend my time writing, raising my children, snuggling with my wife, getting outside and staying active, and hopefully inspiring others along the way.

Thank you

With your help we can exceed this year's goal of $5,000 for the National Kidney Foundation of Michigan. Thank you very much for your continued support. Erich



Tuesday, August 24, 2010

A few more pictures for Grand River Expedition 2010







I am speaking about how all of us have challenges to overcome.  It is our resilience and courage that enables us to pick ourselves up and strive to do great things.  These comments were made at the Old Town, Lansing welcoming of the Grand River Expedition 2010.  I then re-entered the the river with my lovely wife, Andria, and had a delightful paddle to Grand Ledge.





Meeting at lunch during our last day of paddling.  Matt and I launched and headed out toward Lake Huron.



O.k., after a little push we were on our way. 

O.k., after a big heave, hoe from the stern we were on our way.






Matt displaying the colors proudly.


Doug and I after our very wet portion through Grand Rapids.  
Running the a few of the dams was fun.  We are at on of my "Particular Harbors" - Grand Haven.  One more day to go.



After a hearty lunch, Jake was ready to go on his second leg.





A bit of reflection on the days journey before we both jumped in.  
This is still the Grand River.


Helping get out the word in Grand Haven.


My dream boat.


 I love Grand Haven.


These are the paddlers who went the entire 225 miles.  What an incredible bunch of wonderful people.  I'm lucky to have been able to journey with them.





Matt, Antonia and I at Lake Michigan after 225 miles of paddling for me.


Until 2020.  
Jacob assured me that he will be doing the entire trip with me in 2020.  A bet Antonia will want to join us.  Jake with will be 20 years old and Antonia will be 16.




The Riverdudes

No comments:

Post a Comment