In 2010, to celebrate my tenth year of a wonderful life on dialysis I sort of got in shape and canoed 225 miles with the Grand River Expedition 2010. It was an incredible journey that couldn't have happened without my family and many dear friends.

I have been on dialysis since 2001 and have used every form of dialysis currently available in search of the best outcome and the best life. I have done in-center hemodialysis, at home hemodialysis with a traditional dialysis machine, peritoneal dialysis and finally, NxStage's System One home hemodialysis machine. I have had two kidney transplants, one from my beautiful wife and another because a thoughtful motorcyclist had checked the donate organs line on his license. For me, the technology for a successful transplant does not exist for my disease. I remain open and optimistic about wearable and implantable artificial kidneys.

Since I started my first blog, Tasty Kidney Pie, in 2001, I have tried to, and hope to continue to, inspire dialysis patients and others living with chronic illnesses to get outdoors and live an active and fruitful life.

Since 2001, The Riverdudes, my National Kidney Foundation of Michigan Walk Team has raised $78,000.

I currently spend my time writing, raising my children, snuggling with my wife, getting outside and staying active, and hopefully inspiring others along the way.

Thank you

With your help we can exceed this year's goal of $5,000 for the National Kidney Foundation of Michigan. Thank you very much for your continued support. Erich



Monday, January 11, 2010

Today is a good day to begin

2010 will be my tenth year on dialysis.  Ten extra years of life, that is phenomenal.  Not as phenomenal as say twenty years or even twenty five years, but, it sure the heck beats being dead.  I really don't have a good reference for that statement, but I'm o.k. with that.

To mark the occasion I am going to get into shape so that I can join the Grand River Expedition 2010 which will lead scientists, educators, local officials, river enthusiasts and at least one fellow on dialysis from its headwaters near Jackson, Michigan to Lake Michigan at its mouth in Grand Haven 225 miles downstream.  I will also solicit donations for the National Kidney Foundation of Michigan which is the nation's premier organization working to prevent kidney disease and to improve the lives of those who are suffering from kidney disease. 

I'm proud to say that my Mid-Michigan NKFM Walking Team, the Riverdudes, has raised over $54,000 since we started in 2001. 

To celebrate my tenth year on dialysis I pledge to raise $20,000 for NKFM with your help and the help of the Riverdudes.

Prior to having my kidneys suddenly fail I was a watershed management consultant working to protect rivers and the lands that drain to them.  Back then I use to talk about how we needed to preserve wetlands since they were nature's kidneys working to improve water quality and manage flow.  Well now, I'm talking about human kidneys and how we need to protect them for pretty much the same reasons.  the 2010 Grand River Expedition will stop in communities along the way and set up mini-river festivals.  With my friends at NKFM we will join the festivals to encourage people to take good care of their kidneys and to protect wetlands too and to get out and enjoy the river.  For the past ten years, I haven't done any river work, other than paddling with my ten year old son and my six year old daughter, rather I've been working with a number of groups to improve the lives of dialysis patients.   When I first started river work someone who recognized my in a grocery store, shouted, "hey, Riverdude."  The nickname stuck, so I'm proud to say that in 2010, the Riverdude will reenter the waters to once again help protect the river and kidneys too.

I hope you enjoy reading Paddling on Dialysis for Kidney Health where I will be documenting my experiences in undertaking this great project.

Dialyze for the Prize!  Erich

No comments:

Post a Comment